Russian Federation go into their last group game against Mexico on Saturday in Kazan knowing that most likely nothing less than a win will be enough to claim a semifinal spot, with the Gold Cup winners widely expected to beat New Zealand in Wednesday's second Group A game.
The four-time Ballon d'Or victor - the world's highest-paid athlete according to Forbes magazine - has said his "conscience is clear" in the matter but has reportedly threatened to leave Real.
Based on the quality of players that will be on display, Portugal should be able to get the win against Russian Federation and in their final group match against New Zealand.
"The next match will be very tough because New Zealand will give it their all".
New Zealand's superb first-half display rattled Mexico and a tense match boiled over with a mass brawl in the dying stages. However, the final disposition in the group will be settled after tonight's match between New Zealand and Mexico, who are meeting at Fisht Stadium in the southern resort city of Sochi.
There was then huge controversy as New Zealand squandered a brilliant opportunity.
Salcedo injured his shoulder while falling in an off-the-ball tangle with Chris Wood, who angered the Mexicans by shooting while his opponent was incapacitated on the turf.
An entertaining match finished 2-2, with both sides scoring in the final five minutes of the game.
Could it be the victor in Sochi?
The match turned when Porto midfielder Hector Herrera came on for the second half and Mexico's attacks started to flow.
An fantastic run by Javier Aquino was finished off by a stunning strike by Raul Jimenez in the 54th minute.
In the 65th minute, Ronaldo had another chance, sparking a counterattack with a lengthy run and the receiving the return pass at the top of the box, but his powerful attempt was wayward and high.
Mexico had the chance to seal the win in the 88th minute but Tommy Smith popped up with a fine block to clear Jimenez's effort off the line.
- British police arrest man in London Bridge attack investigation
- UK moves to ease tensions after van attack on London Muslims
- Looming expansion draft turns up trade chatter around National Hockey League
- Rizzo speaks with Major League Baseball ; no discipline for plate collision
- 4K Forza Motorsport 7 On Xbox One X Performance And Analysis
- Police identifies third attacker of London attack
- Lonzo Ball's draft stock stays strong with Lakers watching
- Trump Boasts About Republican Wins in Special Congressional Elections
- Expansion draft roundup: Vegas' roster begins to take shape
- Koepka's trip around the world leads to major title at home