But Mercedes, and in particular Hamilton, will be delighted with their recovery after a weekend to forget at the previous round in Monaco a fortnight ago.
SENNA HELMET: After qualifying, Hamilton was presented with one of Senna's race-worn helmets - a gesture from the Brazilian driver's family that left him moved and momentarily stunned.
On lap 11, Verstappen's Red Bull died at the side of the track, ending his day and leaving Hamilton and Bottas alone in front.
Hamilton remains three poles behind Michael Schumacher's career record of 68.
"That's what kids notice, the yellow helmet", Hamilton said. As a kid, I always thought if I can get to F1 I want to emulate Ayrton, so the fact that I've now reached him in that area, I honestly can't believe it.
Vettel was still on the track, with another chance to catch Hamilton. Verstappen's pain was Hamilton's gain as it made his task all that much easier.
Finn Kimi Raikkonen finished seventh in the second Ferrari ahead of German Nico Huelkenberg of Renault, with local hero and teenage rookie Lance Stroll of Canada taking ninth for Williams and Frenchman Romain Grosjean 10th for Haas.
The same could not be said for his rival Vettel. "But the auto is really good". I enjoyed it, it was fun, it was good racing. "I'm shaken, I'm speechless", he said, standing in front of the crowded stands with the gift. "It's all about tomorrow".
Mishaps at the start put Hamilton and Bottas home free in what had been expected to be a tight race with the Ferraris, who were coming off a one-two finish two weeks ago in Monaco.
Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes is more united than he has ever known in his five years at the team as it responds to the challenge from Ferrari this season. "I really have to thank my team for making this possible".
Red Bull in fifth and sixth are the best of the rest, with Max Verstappen leading Ricciardo.
Still no points for McLaren, despite Alonso being in 10th place until the penultimate lap when his car's Honda engine expired. He earned two points. "And, if we can be in the points, that'll be great".
"I don't know why Montreal's been so good to me".
- Stanley Cup Final: Three keys to Game 5
- Draft is next up during NBA's dizzying days of deals
- Full Text Of The AHCA Draft From The Senate Has Been Released
- Koepka's trip around the world leads to major title at home
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Rizzo speaks with Major League Baseball ; no discipline for plate collision
- After high-profile losses, some Democrats seek change at the top
- How Close Were Georgia And South Carolina Election's?
- British police arrest man in London Bridge attack investigation
- Ronaldo summoned to answer judge's questions on tax fraud