But sources were non-committal on the possibility of the party picking union minister Venkaiah Naidu or C Vidyasagar Rao, two names that have been in circulation. Ideology, hard work are said to be his success formula. "A fitting candidate for the office of Vice-President", Modi tweeted soon after Shah made the announcement.
He was seen as among the probables for President until Modi decided against relieving any of his cabinet colleagues for Rashtrapati Bhavan.
He also said, "Now, I do not belong to any party".
Vice Presidential candidates M Venkaiah Naidu, representing the ruling National Democratic Alliance and Gopalkrishna Gandhi, the grandson of Mahatma Gandhi and the Opposition's candidate will be filing their nominations onTuesday.
BJD parliamentary party spokesman Kalikesh Singhdeo said, "Patnaik has proved that the BJD has been maintaining equal distance from the Congress and the BJP".
He was elected as an MLA to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly twice from Udayagiri constituency in Nellore district in 1978 and 1983. The Modi Government is set to introduce and seek passage of several important legislations through the Rajya Sabha.
"Venkaiah is a senior political leader across party lines and is a senior leader of the BJP which he had been associated from his youth".
Of all the vice presidential candidates the country has had so far, Naidu has the most Rajya Sabha experience. I myself met Gopal Krishna Gandhi, the Opposition's vice-Presidential candidate and conveyed to him that, in the wake of the current situation it won't be good for us to attend a meeting called by Opposition. Given that Naidu will have to work under Kovind in case the latter becomes the next President of India, nearly a sure-shot development, complications may arise out of ego clashes and the twin offices.
The Vice President is also the presiding officer of the Rajya Sabha. But, by Monday morning, Naidu could not resist accepting greetings when he was mobbed by MPs and leaders in Parliament, congratulating him "in advance". Amit Shah will take care of the responsibility of the Vice-Presidential election. "Venkaiahji is one of the most respected politicians across political parties. He has also accepted the nomination", BJP president Amit Shah said at a press conference after the meeting.
- Alabama's 'Don't waste a failure' mantra should frighten SEC foes
- Republicans never expected to need Obamacare replacement plan
- Agudelo Starts in Wild Win Over Martinique
- Most Americans Back Net Neutrality Rules FCC Doesn't Want
- Floyd Mayweather on Conor McGregor: Racism Still Exists, But I'm No 'Boy'
- FDA panel recommends approval for experimental leukemia treatment
- Watch Venus Williams vs Garbine Muguruza live
- Even Trump can't distract Henderson at US Open
- Striking protectionist tone, Trump touts US-made products
- Alfred Angelo issues statement after filing for bankruptcy