Apple, which announced the financial results for its third quarter (April - June) on Tuesday, said that it had sold 41 million iPhones during the three-month period, slightly higher than the last year's sale of 40.4 million units.
The move is seen by some as an effort to assure investors that the company's fortune doesn't rest exclusively on sales of iPhones, which have been its main revenue driver.
The tech giant also recorded a 7% hike in revenue from the same period a year ago to hit $45.4 billion revenue.
Apple's CFO Luca Maestri said that a weak price was explained in part by Apple reducing the flow of its inventory by over 3.3 million units that were all at the high-end of the iPhone's range.
Chief executive officer, Tim Cook focused on the achievements of Apple's services division, which covers both the App Store and Apple Music. The high numbers are indicative of a new iPhone model looming right around the corner, with an announcement likely to take place in September or October.
Lastly, he talked about SAP and how it released SuccessFactors Mobile to support 47 million iPhone and iPad users worldwide in different industries.
The news sent the share price up to a record $159 a share, according to The Guardian, adding almost $40bn to the value of the company to take the total to over $820bn. Looking ahead to the fourth quarter, Apple expects revenue between $49 billion and $52 billion, suggesting the usual iPhone launch toward the end of September. We created 2 million jobs in the U.S. We do view that we have a responsibility to increase economic activity in the United States, including creating jobs, because Apple could only have been created here.
Apple reports the number of phones that it sells to phone retailers and not the number of phones sold to consumers.
There's been much speculation about the actual release date of the iPhone 8, with many analysts predicting the handset would be delayed until year-end.
- USA embassy staff in Russian Federation barred from retrieving their belongings
- Vettel secures pole position in Hungary, Hamilton takes fourth
- Apple's facial recognition unlocking feature and bezel-less design all but confirmed
- Game of Thrones gives a nod to The Walking Dead with reference
- Venezuela: President Nicolas Maduro's rivals 'taken away in in the night'
- With Scaramucci's firing, can John Kelly bring stability to the White House?
- Top Lashkar terrorist Abu Dujana killed in J&K
- In Less Than 2 Days, Bitcoin Cash Becomes Third Biggest Cryptocurrency
- Trumpcare fails in their effort to dismantle Obamacare
- AMD Radeon RX Vega Graphics Card Unveiled