Kohli was unbeaten on 76 at stumps, having stroked five boundaries in the 114 deliveries he has faced so far. Mukund compiled only his second half-century in his seventh Test. Angelo Mathews made two before being caught by Hardik Pandya off Jadeja. They shared 101 runs for the fifth wicket before Ashwin had Dickwella caught by Saha for 67 in the fifth over of the final session.
Seasoned batsman Lahiru Thirimanne has also been called up as a replacement for injured Asela Gunaratne who broke his left thumb whilst fielding on day one of the first Test and was ruled out of the remainder of the series.
India captain Virat Kohli completed his 17th Test ton on Saturday and then let his bowlers demolish injury-hit Sri Lanka to claim a 304-run victory inside four days in the first Test. Given a cut-off of 10 Test matches, the SSC is the venue where Sri Lanka have their best win-loss ratio in Tests of 2.714.
"I thought the boys were fantastic in the last Test match but what we are striving for is for improvement". Mahendra Singh Dhoni's men won a series (1-0) against New Zealand in 2009 and drew (1-1) against South Africa in 2011.
"We've been preparing for turning pitches, and playing reverse sweeps and sweeps in training", Chandimal said.
"We have a team meeting after the practice and we can clarify more after the meeting but according to me, KL is definitely coming back at the top order". The gap in Test rankings - no.1 to no.7 - highlights the gulf between the sides and the result from Galle has only widened it further. Dhawan announced his comeback in Test format in style by blasting 190 runs in the first innings off only 168 balls and Mukund scored a crucial 81 in the second innings to set up India's declaration.
India, who traditionally pick a 12-man unit the day before the game without making it public, were also certain to make at least one change.
Stokes, who plays for England, has established himself as one of the best all-rounders in worldwide cricket today due to his ability to wreak havoc with both the bat and ball.
- Cheteshwar Pujara needs to score 34 runs in his next Test innings to become the joint second fastest Indian to score 4000 runs in Tests in-terms of innings.
Virat Kohli, in a pre-match press conference, hinted at the fate of KL Rahul for the Test team.
Sri Lanka have recalled Lahiru Thirimanne, raising eyebrows as he averages just 24 in 26 Test matches although the squad is large and he may not feature.
- USA embassy staff in Russian Federation barred from retrieving their belongings
- Trumps Obamacare repeal efforts foiled in US Senate
- Donald Trump replaces chief of staff Reince Priebus with John Kelly
- Trumpcare fails in their effort to dismantle Obamacare
- Vettel secures pole position in Hungary, Hamilton takes fourth
- OIC To Hold Another Emergency Meeting On Jerusalem In Istanbul
- Apple Q2 profit rises 12% on higher sales of iPhones
- Pakistani lawmakers elect Shahid Khaqan Abbasi as interim prime minister
- Bitcoin Volatility Surges Ahead of Tuesday's Key Fork Decision
- Game of Thrones gives a nod to The Walking Dead with reference