The Hurricanes were ranked 18th Thursday afternoon among the top-25 in the Amway Coaches Poll, the first major preseason poll released. Ohio State is No. 2 with 1,512 points (five first-place), and Florida State (1,434, four first-place) rounds out the top three.
Clemson was the only other team to receive any first-place votes in the poll, pulling in seven.
The Cougars, however, fared better in ESPN's preseason top 25 poll, which was released Thursday. The Pac-12 also has four teams and the Group of Five's lone representative is South Florida of the AAC. Penn State ended the season in the seventh slot in the Associated Press and coaches polls.
That formidable quartet were the only Big Ten teams in the Top 25.
No. 15 Georgia has stepped forward as the latest Power 5 team doomed to a white-knuckle season opener against Appalachian State (11 votes), which took Tennessee to overtime on opening night a year ago.
App State opens the season September 2 at Georgia, which is 15th in the poll.
For what it's worth: Penn State finished fifth in the College Football Playoff's rankings last season, which would seem to be the definition of "serious consideration".
It's the highest preseason ranking for the Nittany Lions since 1999 (3rd). Texas and Tennessee both enter the poll based exclusively on name. Third-year head coach James Franklin is a poll voter. It does give Wisconsin a good vantage point for inching up towards College Football Playoff territory when teams #1-#9 stumble.
- Deathbed Confession Jolts Game of Thrones
- Microsoft Is Testing Eye Control for Windows 10 Users
- Tesla Grows Revenue but Run of Massive Losses Continues
- Lawmakers need to get input on health care
- Michelle Carter: Does a 15-month sentence fit her horrific crime?
- Wie sets course record at Women's British Open; Miyazato eight shots back
- Pioneering scientists edit genes in embryos to stop inherited diseases
- West Virginia governor announces plan to switch parties
- Russia reserving right for more retaliatory steps on US
- Jab Harry Met Sejal early reviews: Shah Rukh-Anushka's film disappoints?