The country music icon has sadly died at age 81, a rep for Glen's record label, Universal Music Group, confirmed to Rolling Stone magazine on Tuesday, Aug. 8.
Singer and guitarist Glen Campbell, whose biggest hits included "Wichita Lineman" and "Rhinestone Cowboy", has died. He released over 70 albums, sold 50 million records and accumulated 12 RIAA gold albums, four platinum albums, and one double-platinum album.
Born in Arkansas in 1936, Campbell headed west as a teenager to pursue a career in music, landing first in Albuquerque, where he played in his uncle's country and western band, Dick Bills and the Sandia Mountain Boys.
In 2011, the then 75-year-old singer announced he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, revealing he had suffered from short-term memory loss for years.
"He had that attractive tenor with a crystal-clear guitar sound, playing lines that were so inventive", Tom Petty told Rolling Stone during a 2011 profile of Campbell. A guest-hosting spot on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour led to his own Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, which in turn helped him land a role in John Wayne's True Grit.
Campbell's final studio album, "Adios", was released June 9, 2017.
"I love Glen for so many reasons - but above all, for his humanity".
Ashley Campbell, also a musician, made a quest appearance and said making the album was "therapeutic".
Singer Glen Campbell plays guitar as host of the NBC television show "The Midnight Special" which was broadcast on October 24, 1975.
Campbell's status as one of country's all-time greats was solidified by '70s smashes like "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Southern Nights". Campbell earned acclaim for his performance as a fresh-faced Texas Ranger, La Boeuf, who joins forces with John Wayne's grizzled USA marshal to track down a killer.
Glen's success in the music industry is apparent with his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2005 and his Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. Hundreds of #Celebrities, politicians, friends, and musicians reacted with tributes and condolences on social media.
- Apple iPhone 8 case render confirms bezel-less display
- Mo Farah wins his last 10000 metres Gold
- UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor watches fights with son Conor Jr
- Wie sets course record at Women's British Open; Miyazato eight shots back
- Senate Republicans quietly wave the white flag on Obamacare repeal
- Reporter: Commitment to the GOP agenda doesn't make you a Trump loyalist
- Local observatory explains the uniqueness of the upcoming total solar eclipse
- Haryana stalking case: cracks appear in BJP's defence of Subhash Barala
- Rihanna's Crop Over costume slays social media — BBCI
- BUYER BEWARE: Doctors warn of fake eclipse glasses