This will be the eighth such vote in Zuma's tenor as president, although this time there is a clear factional divide within the ruling African National Congress (ANC).
Maimane opened the debate on the motion of no confidence in President Jacob Zuma in the National Assembly - telling the house the stakes have never been higher.
Some party members denounced those who voted against Zuma as sellouts, and chief whip Jackson Mthembu said the party would consider disciplining them.
Democratic Alliance (DA) leader Mmusi Maimane says that his party will bring a motion to dissolve Parliament.
Zuma has faced growing anger over multiple allegations of corruption while the economy has slid into recession.
ANC politicians are already looking to a future without Zuma, whose term ends in 2019. This news was greeted with cheers and singing by ANC MPs. If the president is removed, the constitution dictates that his cabinet must step down as well. 198 MPs voted against the motion yesterday.
GRANITZ: Highly charged is one way to describe the atmosphere in South Africa.
"We will defeat this planned motion as we have defeated all other attempts by the opposition to overthrow our popularly elected government", he said.
"The vast majority of ANC MPs are not willing to risk the stability of the party in order to remove Zuma in this fashion", Jonker said.
The ANC holds a majority of the 400 parliament seats, and the party has repeatedly said its members will not support the opposition-led attempt to unseat the president. The vote was held by secret ballot for the first time.
In the past, Zuma had survived repeated revolts against his leadership from within his own party, but none in secret.
Kodwa said Zuma was on his way to address supporters outside Parliament. But his hold on power will become far more precarious once he relinquishes control of the ANC in December this year, following the party's elective conference. "Today, we either do what is best for our country or we turn our back on it", he said. "We are here to remove Duduzane because Duduzane's father is the most corrupt individual in this country". Jacob Zuma has survived, but he has nothing to celebrate tonight.
- Tuesday Morning Weather: Still Cool And Soggy
- Newspaper: Kenyans take no chances ahead of high-stakes election
- Bairstow out for 99 in Sth Africa 4th Test
- Mo Farah wins his last 10000 metres Gold
- UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor watches fights with son Conor Jr
- Jadeja's fifer spins India to innings-win in Colombo Test
- Trump pays a staffer $89000 to find positive news stories about him
- Reporter: Commitment to the GOP agenda doesn't make you a Trump loyalist
- Taylor Swift's attorney accuses radio show host of trying to get rich
- Auto hits soldiers in Paris; 6 hurt, suspect arrested