At that point, it was a 6-3 Tigers lead, but NY rallied for three runs in the top of the seventh.
Detroit cleanup hitter and 11-time All-Star Miguel Cabrera and NY catcher Austin Romine were tossed after a sixth-inning brawl. It appeared that Cabrera instigated the proceeding confrontation between him and Romine as it can be seen that he initially ignored Cabrera.
Things quickly escalated from there, when a shove by Cabrera led the two wrestling each other to the ground, throwing jabs left and right to each player's midsection. If you missed the largest original fight, or just want to watch it again because it was fun, here you go.
Cabrera & Austin Romine were ejected and suspensions/fines are sure to follow.
Sanchez, who was hit by Tigers starter Michael Fulmer earlier in the game, told reporters he was just trying to defend his teammates and his instincts kicked in. The Yankees took exception to that and reliever Tommy Kahnle threw a pitch behind Miguel Cabrera.
A few minutes passed as Aroldis Chapman warmed up before coming into the game. Kahnle was in the middle of that too. Cabrera then pushed Austin Romine and threw a punch, sparking a scuffle and prompting both benches to clear. But the fireworks didn't stop there. The Yankees' Dellin Betances struck the Tigers' James McCann in the head with a pitch.
That comes after he had sat during a weekend series with Cleveland, when he was scolded publicly by manager Joe Girardi for the poor defensive display behind the plate August 4.
The New York Yankees could be without Gary Sanchez for a long time, with rumors that the slugger will be facing a hefty suspension after delivering two separate sucker punches during the team's brawl with the Detroit Tigers on Thursday.
If you thought that was the end of it, wrong.
Detroit reliever Alex Wilson was tossed after hitting NY third baseman Todd Frazier with a pitch in the eighth.
"I was actually on the field, so I haven't seen it, I haven't talked to them about it", Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said when asked about Verlander/Martinez incident, the Detroit Free Press reports. There was a little more fury in the scrum this time, as Brett Gardner of the Yankees seemed really keen on fighting someone - Ausmus or anybody else. Major League Baseball is expected to announce any suspensions related to Thursday's melee in the coming days.
Everything in this ordeal is going to take a while to sort out - fines and suspensions from MLB's side.
- Cambrils attack: four suspects shot dead by one officer, police say
- McGregor Brings Out Amazing Childhood Short Video Before Mayweather Fight
- Trump praises North Korea for backing down on missile threat
- NASA Scientist Weighs In on Solar Eclipse Do's and Don'ts
- Virat Kohli Reveals Who Will Replace Ravindra Jadeja In The Third Test
- North Korean military reiterates Guam strike plan threat
- Taking photos of the solar eclipse could damage your smartphone
- MA ticket wins $758M Powerball jackpot
- Virat Kohli completes 4000 ODI runs in successful chases for India
- Samsung heir convicted of bribery: Company's future at stake