"We could be impacted for many years on this because that data is now outside secure bounds", says SAP National Security Service's Mark Testoni.
A security breach at one of the three big credit reporting agencies means our personal data could have fallen into the hands of hackers. In 2012, the Federal Trade Commission accused Equifax of inappropriately selling thousands of lists of consumers' data to third parties. The AG says he's sent a letter to Equifax to find out more.
"This is clearly a disappointing event for our company and one that strikes at the heart of who we are and what we do". It may have compromised #Credit Card information of up to 209,000 American customers. Once you're there, you'll need your last name and the last six digits of your social security number.
Monitor your existing credit card and bank accounts closely for charges you don't recognize. The company said thousands of consumers also had their credit card numbers and credit dispute documents accessed. Equifax says it found out about the breach on July 29.
Equifax has now seen nearly all of its 2017 gains wiped away in one day.
Equifax executives have also come under fire for selling $1.8 million in company shares after they discovered the company was hacked, but before they made the breach public.
If you use the Equifax website, Huber said, "Once you go onto that website they give you a signup date that you have to come back and then re-enroll in their system. It's really the gateway to your life and if somebody has your Social Security Number they can assume your identity and wreak absolute havoc with just about every aspect of your life", said Bruce Rivers, a lawyer with Rivers Law Firm, P.A.in Minneapolis. First, you have to file a complaint against this data breach to protect your information.
- George Will: Trump is threatening war with North Korea, but what kind?
- Category 5 hurricanes a rare hazard for continental United States
- No. 5 Oklahoma exacts revenge from No. 2 Ohio State
- A bunt drops some spice into Yankees-Red Sox rivalry
- Packers add another former 49ers defender
- Governor notes efforts to fight Montana fire and drought
- Germany Tells the ECB It's Time to Start Raising Interest Rates
- Stephens eases past compatriot Keys to win US Open title
- Rafael Nadal Now in US Open Semi-finals
- IPhone 8 Pre-orders Expected 15th September