The first version of the new Nokia 3310, unveiled at this year's Mobile World Congress, shipped only with support for 2G networks.
Set to retail for A$89.95, and set to be available at cheaper pre-paid pricing, Nokia's new 3310 3G edition is obviously a return to the feature phone, and is about as anti-modern-smartphone as you can get.
Earlier this year HMD Global launched the Classic Nokia 3310 phone in the market. And in this short span the firm has launched 4 feature phones, including the iconic Nokia 3310, and 4 smartphones based on Android OS.
It was far from flawless though, being a bog-standard feature phone with a high price tag (R749, €49). At that time, Telstra's 2G network was gone, and Optus and Vodafone's were living on borrowed time, which meant that launching a 2G-only handset would be commercial suicide. The 3G model's stated price is Euro 69, approximately Kshs 8,400 as per current exchange rates. Nokia 3310 3G comes with a new customisable retro user interface (UI) which lets you change the icon colours and position.
If we talk about the specifications, the Nokia 3310 3G sports a 2.4 inch QVGA (240×320 pixels) color display. Also, the device will be available in Warm Red and Yellow color variants as the standard Nokia 3310.
Back when I reviewed the 3310 I noted that it was only capable of communicating via the somewhat antiquated 2G networks. - and a limited number of them at that. The handset is available in both single and dual SIM models.
HMD in a press release said, "The addition of 3G data connectivity brings this popular phone to even more fans around the world". The Nokia 3310 3G has a talk time of 6.5 hours and a standby time of 27 days.
Furthermore, the phone would feature an 8 Megapixel of Primary Camera at the rear panel and a 5 Megapixel of front facing Secondary Camera at the front panel for selfies and video calling.
While that may be fine in some parts of the globe, there are many markets which no longer support anything below 3G.
- Ex-judge beats Trump's candidate in Alabama
- Dallas Cowboys Wishlist At Arizona Cardinals
- PM, Shah speak to UP Chief Minister over BHU incident
- Saudi Arabia agrees to allow women to drive at last
- Amazon prepares to unveil first wearable gadget at launch event this evening
- Trump's tax reform plan is a mixed bag for real estate
- Tiger Woods unsure about playing future in golf
- McCain: State-Specific Buy-Offs In Obamacare Repeal 'Unsavory'
- Democratic Lawmakers to Trump: Send More Help to Puerto Rico
- Jimmy Kimmel Enjoys 'Emotional Weekend' After Likely Death Of Obamacare Repeal Bill