"I would say this season seems to be pretty typical, there's nothing unusual occurring", she said.
One suburban San Diego case shows how serious the flu can be.
"We're definitely seeing a lot more cases of flu and definitely more than past year", said Lyndy Stone, marketing director for Shannon Medical Center. Curt Stankovic, medical director of the Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, said in a statement.
Kaiser Permanente doctors now are being advised to prescribe antiviral drugs like Tamiflu - given as a pill or, for kids, an oral suspension - even without a lab test for influenza, Bergen said.
- A spike in flu cases in NY and across the country has health officials urging people to get influenza vaccine if they haven't done so already. In the week ending January 6, an average of 327 patients visited the ER each day.
Both hospitals are reporting cases from in-patient hospital and emergency room visits but not from their urgent care or clinics. "We will very likely continue to see the flu for months".
"You've had the vaccine, but you still get the flu". On a map of the United States tracking flu activity, "this is the first year that we have had the entire continental U.S.be the same color", he noted.
From Nov. 19 to Nov. 25, 54 patients were tested for the flu. "The other hypothesis could be that the vaccine wasn't a good mesh this year". 70 percent of those confirmed cases were in November and December, according to the district. "But, in general, all of the health care professionals are vaccinated", he said.
Salem-Keizer Public Schools have seen a sharp increase in absences recently.
New scientific research on the spread of flu across Australia has revealed that all major cities appear to experience outbreaks of flu around the same time each year, published today in PLOS Pathogens. Another influenza B virus subtype also is circulating, "and that's no fun, either", Bergen said.
Dr. Perry Kendall, British Columbia's provincial health officer, says the national number of flu cases is slightly above average, but what's unusual is the strain people are contracting.
"Every year, there are still a number of people that die from flu, and they can be healthy individuals", said Dr. Quan.
- Martin O'Neill extends Republic of Ireland contract
- Jim Harbaugh names starting QB for Saturday's game at Indiana
- Breaking down the insanity in the ALDS Game 2 victory
- Green Bay Packers: History and hatred highlighted Thursday's beatdown
- Seahawks Game Prediction: Can Seattle Win in LA?
- Indigenous Peoples Day: 4 Things to Know
- Bears need lot more than tricks to get best of Mitchell Trubisky
- Marcus Mariota will be game-time decision against Dolphins
- U2 to delay concert for Argentina's massive World Cup qualifier
- Top 5 Jaw-Dropping Moments From "Star Wars"